September 29, 2021, 5:07 p.m
Stuffed eggplant boats – a dish of oriental cuisine. It is prepared in the countries of the Middle East, Central Asia and the Caucasus. A vegetable is cooked in the oven, adding minced meat and herbs.
Stuffed aubergines are bought differently in different countries:
- In Armenia they are filled with peas and cheese or combined with pumpkin and green beans. Gravy is added to the dish – matsun with crushed garlic.
- In Turkish cuisine there are boats with vegetables, rice or raisins. Stuffed eggplant in Turkey is called “imam bayaldi”.
- In India, a mixture of peanuts, sesame, cilantro, garlic and spices is used as minced meat.
- In Georgia they cook satsebeli – aubergines stuffed with walnuts.
There are a large number of recipes for eggplant boats with minced meat. We offer a variation of the Greek dish “Shoes”. In the original recipe, instead of hard cheese, bechamel sauce is used, which is poured over the dish. This will make the vegetables juicier.
If you want to diversify the dish, use these recommendations:
- Minced meat can be replaced with minced meat, then the consistency of the dish will be slightly different.
- Tomatoes must not be finely chopped and not fried together with minced meat. Add the sliced tomatoes and place them neatly on top of the minced meat. Tomatoes will melt beautifully under the cheese and go well with herbs.
- If you use minced chicken, add sour cream to taste in the fried meat, and then bake under the cheese.
- The filling is allowed to diversify with other ingredients. Cabbage with mushrooms is perfect for this. In this case, meat can be excluded.
The main advantage of eggplant boats is that simple and affordable ingredients make a hearty dish with which you can feed the whole family. Choose eggplants with a smooth, shiny and clean skin without damage. The fruits must be the same size, so that the parts are evenly baked during the cooking process.
1 hour 10 minutes
Calories per serving:
Author: Yaroslav Bozhenko