What happens if you eat expired meat and in which cases the expired date does not mean the physical death of the product – find out in the UNIAN material.
When buying a certain product, we always pay attention to the packaging, which indicates the expiry date of the goods. Unfortunately, some stores “interrupt” the date to extend the presence of the product on the shelf, but even if we buy a fresh product, it can still give its soul to God while lying in the refrigerator.
UNIAN will tell you if you can eat dairy products after the expiration date and share a list of foods that are better to throw away.
What food can be eaten after the expiration date – a list
Experts name eight types of products that do not become dangerous for humans when they expire. It can be eaten, but it is important to know some rules:
- eggs – at a temperature of 4 ° C in the refrigerator, gifts for chicken can “live” for another 4-5 weeks after the expiration date;
- bread – in the refrigerator will last 5-7 days, in the freezer – 3-6 months;
- pasta – in a large container and in a cool, dry place they can be freely stored for a year or two after the end date of use;
- dry breakfast – unopened can be stored for 6-8 months after the expiration date, unopened – 4-6;
- milk – a closed package will preserve the properties of milk for a month after the expiration date, and an open package – 7-10 days;
- yogurt – unopened “live” 3 weeks after the expiration date, printed – 1 week.
Nutritionists say that this list includes honey and peanut butter – as a rule, these products are stored for a long time in a dry and dark place, especially if they are closed.
Despite the loyalty of the above products, you should be especially careful with “milk” – you can only store and use it if it has not acquired a specific smell or mold.
Is it possible to eat expired sausage – a list of prohibited foods
The food options we described above are low maintenance foods that can be consumed after the expiration date. But there are also things that do not tolerate neglect – if something from the list below is missing, it is better to immediately send it to the trash:
- chopped meat – stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 12 hours at 4 ° C, then it disappears and becomes unsuitable for food;
- minced fish – can be stored in the refrigerator for two hours or in the freezer for two months;
- soft cheese – usually they get worse already on the second day, become sticky and covered with bloom;
- berries – are stored fresh for up to 2 days, then they become covered with dark spots, release juice, release mycotoxins;
- vegetable juices – unlike fruits, they do not contain acid, so they quickly turn sour and can cause severe poisoning;
- seafood – can not be stored for more than three days, but it is better to eat immediately after purchase;
- sausages, balyki, boiled pork – all types of cold can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days;
- chicken, meat, waste – Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days at 0-4 ° C or prepare immediately after purchase.
By the way, regarding the last point – nutritionists advise to always buy chilled meat, not frozen. So you are less likely to bring home an already outdated product. However, if the meat is frozen, you must cook it immediately after thawing.