Hedgehogs with gravy is a dish that for some reason is rarely cooked at home. Many of us remember being carried out by kindergarteners (well, or their colleagues from the pioneer camp). And that’s strange, because this dish is prepared simply and quickly and disappears just as quickly: usually hedgehogs eat even small children with pleasure.
The main charm of hedgehogs is that they can be stuffed for future use, frozen and cooked as needed. By the way, it is recommended to involve children in cooking: they will cope with simple tasks quite well. And one more thing: hedgehogs cooked in the oven are much healthier than those baked in a pan. And much softer.
- Rice – 1 tbsp.
- Minced meat – 500 g
- Onion – 1 pc.
- Carrots – 1 pc.
- Salt, pepper, spices to taste
- Egg – 1 pc.
- Sour cream – 200 g
- Tomato paste – 2 tbsp. l.
- Bay leaf – 2-3 pcs.
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves
1. Preparing the basis for ёZhikov. Wash rice under cold running water and pour boiling water for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can boil it until half cooked in salt water (in a ratio of 2 to 1: two glasses of water to one glass of rice). Minced meat (it is better to take “Homemade” – a mixture of beef and pork) put in a deep bowl, salt and pepper. It is not forbidden to add your favorite spices – for example, smoked paprika or Provence herbs.
2. We pass vegetables. While the rice is soaking or cooking, peel the onions and carrots. Finely chop the onion. If children are particularly sensitive to onions, try grating them on a fine grater or chopping them with a blender. Grate carrots on a coarse grater. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and first simmer the onion until transparent, then add the carrots and simmer this mixture for another 7-10 minutes.
3. Putting it all together and doing itjiki. Allow the vegetables to cool slightly (so you don’t burn yourself during the kneading process). Add rice to the minced meat (remember to drain the water), vegetables, beat one egg into the mixture of the minced meat and vegetables and mix everything well. Moisten your hands with cold water and form hedgehogs (at this stage you can connect even school children). Put them in a heat-resistant form, greased with vegetable oil.
4. Cooking refueling. Combine tomato paste with sugar, add garlic through a press and 150-200 ml of warm boiled water. Fill the hedgehogs with the mixture: they should be completely hidden under it. Send the form with hedgehogs to the oven for 180-190 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
We recommend serving hedgehogs with a salad of fresh vegetables. But if you like mashed potatoes with gravy, then this option is good.
Cover image: shutterstock / Katarzyna Hurova